In sensational fashion, Sweden pulled out of the World Cup in ice hockey for home nation Latvia. It was the first time in 14 years that Sweden lost to Latvia, they were also big favorites in Thursday’s match.
The quarter-final fiasco is widely reported – anger is boiling with our neighbours.
– I do not care
Jonas Bergqvist, the man with the second most games for Tre Kronor, is one of those who fire at the team.
– Tre Kronor plays seven games in the regular season. No player cheers when they score a goal. They show me the passion they have for ice hockey. In the quarter-finals, they meet a team that lives on passion. Then the result is self-written for me. Right now I know they’re fucking bastards. You didn’t take the chance when you had it, writes Bergqvist on Twitter.
Ice hockey expert in C More, Sanny Lindström, is not generous in his criticism either.
– It is completely unacceptable. I will never accept a Swedish team that goes out in the quarter-finals of a World Cup. Never. Anyone who looks for excuses is lying to themselves, he writes in a comment for Expressen.
– We wanted to go all the way, failing in a quarter-final is not approved, it is a big disappointment, admits Sweden player Timothy Liljegren to Expressen.
– You are primarily disappointed in yourself. You have to look in the mirror. It is incredibly boring that this journey is ending now, despairs team captain Jakob Silfverberg to SVT.
The Swedes have had a number of disappointing championships in recent years. The last time they won a medal was in 2018, when they won gold. In the 2010s, they won a total of three WC golds.
Norway also finished as number 12 in the championship, and thus retained its place in the A-WC.
– The worst thing I’ve ever experienced
The big highlight was the shock win against Canada on penalties.
Latvia will just face Canada in the semi-finals. Canada secured the spot by beating Finland on Thursday. In the second quarter-final, Germany and the USA meet.
Download our sports app