The former head of the Moscow Aviation Institute (MAI), Anatoly Gerashchenko (73), died on Tuesday after what the institute describes as an accident.
An anonymous source told the Russian newspaper Izvestia that Gerashchenko fell from a great height and fell down several stairs. Doctors must have pronounced him dead at the scene.
A commission must be set up to investigate the death. The death has been widely reported in the Russian media over the past 24 hours.
Tie to the defense
Gerashchenko has worked for the institute since 1977, and has recently been an adviser to the current head of MAI.
The Russian Ministry of Defense has strong ties to the institute, which Gerashchenko was head of between 2007 and 2015.
Gerashchenko has received a number of state awards for his work, including the Order of Merit to the Fatherland, one of the highest medals.
In the past year, several high-ranking Russian officials and businessmen have died.
The death of Gerashchenko comes two weeks after a senior executive of the Russian overseas development company, Ivan Pechorin, died after falling down a flight of stairs on a boat.
At the beginning of September, the chairman of Russia’s largest oil company also died Lukoil, Ravil Maganov, under unclear circumstances.
According to the Russian newspaper RBC, Maganov is said to have fallen from the sixth floor of the central hospital in Moscow. He must have died on the spot.
In March, the board of Lukoil issued a statement asking for an end to the war in Ukraine.
“We hereby express our deepest concerns for the tragic events in Ukraine. We ask for an immediate end to the armed conflict, and express our sincere condolences to all victims,” the statement reads.
Five oligarchs died
In the last six months, several Russian oligarchs have been found dead under unclear circumstances.
- The Russian multi-millionaire was found dead in his house in St.Petersburg in July this year. He was found in his pool, shot in the head, writes the British newspaper The Times.
- Voronov, headed Astra Shipping, a transport company that has worked with Gazprom
- Was found dead in his garage on 25 February 2022. The cause of death is said to have been suicide, writes Novaya Gazeta.
- Was director of Gazprom.
- Found dead at his home in Surrey, England. According to the Daily Mail, the 66-year-old was found by an employee. The police, according to the Guardian, have stated that the death is not considered suspicious.
- Was a Ukrainian-born Russian billionaire.
- Was found dead on 23 March together with his family in Nizhny Novgorod, which lies east of Moscow. He, his wife, and the children were all found stabbed. According to investigators, there were no signs of a burglary in the apartment
- Melnikov owned the company MedStrom, which supplies medical equipment.
Was found dead with his wife and daughter in their apartment in Moscow on 18 April this year. They were all found with gunshot wounds. According to the state news agency Tass, it is about murder and suicide.
- He was previously vice president of Gazprombrank
- He was found dead in the garden outside the family’s holiday home in Lloret del Mar in Catalonia. The wife and daughter were found dead inside the house.
- Former vice president and accounting manager at Novatek
Several were found who died together with their families. Many of them are connected to the Russian gas company Gazprom.
In several cases, the authorities have concluded that the deaths were suicides, but the former vice-president of Gazprombank has cast doubt.