The former Manchester United players Gary Neville and Paul Scholes met in connection with the recording of a video for the former’s YouTube channel “The Overlap”.
After scoring eleven goals in his first seven games in the Premier League, Erling Braut Haaland naturally became a topic during the conversation.
Haaland will be extremely important if Norway is to win its Nations League group, but the United legends were more interested in discussing what the forward can accomplish in the future.
Also read: Haaland was grilled and hit back: – Those are too harsh words
Haaland or Mbappé?
Scholes first becomes thoughtful when he is asked which young player will be the world’s best in the future, but eventually admits that he has a crush on PSG’s jewel Kylian Mbappé.
– Why? I would go for Haaland, Neville counters quickly.
Scholes goes on to elaborate on why he would choose Mbappé over the Norwegian, but at the same time emphasizes that he also has an incredible sense for the striker from Bryne.
– I would go for Mbappé. I feel there is more to his game. He is not just a traditional striker. He can dribble, he can play wide in the pitch, he is quick and he is good in the combination game, says Scholes, adding:
– So, Haaland is damn fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but he is first and foremost a goalscorer.
Also read: Mbappé is punished for this: – Selfish on an extreme level
Compared to previous high scorers
Furthermore, Neville compares Haaland with the former top scorer Ruud van Nistelrooy, who scored goals for United from 2001-2006.
The right-back highlights Scholes’ relationship with the Dutchman, and uses it as an argument that Haaland would score more goals in the same team as Scholes than what Mbappé would do.
– But that wasn’t the question, was it? But yes, I agree. I loved playing with Ruud [van Nistelrooy]. I loved playing with those types of players, Scholes replies.
Van Nistelrooy spoke about Haaland ahead of Bodø/Glimt’s Europa League meeting with PSV, who is coached by Van Nistelrooy.
– The way he started at City is fantastic. I think everyone who loves football likes to see him now, van Nistelrooy told the press in attendance.
Furthermore, he was asked if he could recognize his own movements within the 16-metre box when he saw how Haaland has played for Manchester City.
– I don’t remember my movements. It’s been a long time. They can only be found in black-and-white photos, was the 46-year-old’s humorous reply.
Also read: The City star reveals Haaland hysteria