The reactions have not been long in coming, after Stina Talling (20) spoke openly about the choice to have an abortion.
– I got a lot of different responses after I went public, but the strangest messages came after the cases in the media, says Talling.
– There are many men in their 40s and 50s who ask if I can carry the child for them.
She says that she has not been able to keep count of how many people ask if she can carry the child for them.
There are many reasons why people choose to send a message.
– Either it is that they are unable to have children themselves or it is that they want another child. I don’t have a count of how many people ask about having the child, says Talling.
She goes on to say that she understands that these messages do not come from a bad place and that she thinks it is all a bit funny.
Talling has been very clear when she has publicly stated that she is going to have an abortion.
– I think it is absurd that they ask because it is clear that I will have an abortion and not carry the child. I don’t feel ready for a child either mentally, physically or financially.
But there have also been a lot of hate messages.
– I received a lot of hate messages from people asking me to commit suicide and that I am a child killer.
– There are also some who have said that they will kill me if they see me on the street, says Talling.
– I don’t do it for myself
Talling says that the vast majority of the messages she has received are positive, and that many are grateful that she is open.
– The only reason why I choose to be public about this is to show other girls that it is important to talk about when you are in the middle of it. I don’t do it for myself.
She also makes an appeal to others who are in the same situation.
– It is important not to be influenced by what others say and really think about what is best for you, in relation to what you want to do with the fetus.
In a short week, she will carry out the abortion at Haukeland Hospital in Bergen.
New messages still flow into Talling’s inbox every day and she makes a final request:
– Have respect for each other, be kind and respect that people can do what they want with their own bodies.