Over the weekend, several girls have shared their concerns with each other in a closed Facebook group with several thousand members.
They write that nude photos of named people have been requested in a forum on Reddit.
One of those who have experienced this is Enya Iversen Wick (19). She says that it started in 2021 when she was only 17.
– I heard that people asked about nude photos of me on Reddit, and that several people replied that they had. I don’t have any nudes out, so I thought they could just ask.
– But I got a little paranoid and wondered what they were talking about, she adds.
Fake photos exposed
Wick says she had a friend ask the Reddit user about the photos.
Then he was sent bikini pictures that she herself had posted on Instagram. Wick says that she has also seen that someone has shared nude photos they claimed were of her.
– There were two different pictures of a blonde girl with long hair with her mobile phone in front of her face. I saw straight away that it wasn’t me, and I have no idea who they are, says Wick.
The experience was unpleasant.
– It feels disgusting that people think they are getting pictures of me, but I think most people can see that it is not.
She says that she didn’t think much more about the situation until it was discussed in the Facebook group at the weekend. Then she learned that pictures of her were once again being asked on Reddit.
– I think it is strange and disgusting that people ask. Now I’m of legal age, but last year I was under 18. It’s disgusting that people ask for pictures of an underage girl, she says.
– I was shocked
One of those who has followed the situation is student Sandra Rettore. She has seen that pictures of dozens of girls have been asked in the Reddit forum.
– I was shocked. I have heard of the phenomenon before, but never seen that Norwegian pages are used to spread nude pictures.
She is aware that it happens in the world, but seeing in black and white that people are asking for specific people by name, she describes as disgusting.
– It was really terrible and sick.
TV 2 has itself seen posts about images in the relevant forum, as well as screenshots in the Facebook group.
Can identify usernames
Earlier this autumn, it became known that Kripos will be visible on Reddit in the future. That’s because they will be available, but specifically to address the sharing of nude photos.
Hanne Andreassen, who works at the section for internet-related abuse at Kripos, writes in an email that they have received several tips about the reddit channel recently, but that this is not a new phenomenon.
– We fully understand that it is experienced as a great burden for those who feel that their images are going astray. In addition to being punishable, it inflicts a lifelong offense on the person concerned, she writes.
She encourages those who have images spread without consent to report to the service where it will be posted where possible, tip the police and/or make a complaint.
– If the police don’t get the information, we can’t do anything either, she writes.
Many users on Reddit are anonymous, but the police are in many cases able to identify people who do not provide anything other than their username on the internet, according to Andreassen.
– At the same time, it is not always that the police succeed in an investigation, for various reasons.
Reddit: Regularly removes content
Andreassen further writes that services such as Reddit should take greater responsibility for not be a facilitator for the spread of abuse material and other illegal material.
A spokesperson for Reddit writes in an email to TV 2 that they take the sharing of images without consent extremely seriously and that it is completely contrary to their goals.
They further write that the sharing of such content is prohibited according to their guidelines, and that they were recently updated to make it clearer what kind of content this applies to and to make it easier to report.
They also write that they regularly remove content and forums that violate the guidelines, often before anyone sees the content.
– Reddit is constantly looking for new ways to discover such content, writes the spokesperson.
– It must be stopped
Student Rettore says that she has also seen that minors are affected by this.
– In any case, I have seen three posts about people asking for pictures of girls born in 2004 and 2005.
The fact that these may be under 18 makes it even worse, she believes.
– It must be cracked down on. It simply has to be stopped.