The award ceremony took place at the conference Quality in SFO 2022 in Bergen. Frank sat in the hall, as an ordinary participant, he thought, completely unaware of whether he would receive the award from among more than 90 nominated candidates.
– It was very surprising and very rewarding to receive such an award, and it was extra touching to learn that at Brekkåsen school all the students and staff sat and watched the presentation on live stream, says Frank.
Good contact with the children
Frank has 30 years’ experience in school. He first worked for 20 years at Rye in Trondheim, before spending the last ten years at Brekkåsen School. He trained as a child and youth worker well into adulthood.
This school year, he is working with 1st and 3rd grades at school and 1st grade at SFO. In addition, he is heavily involved in school swimming.
– It is important for me to see as many children as possible, and refer to them by name. I visit many children every day. Then the children must know that there is real joy on my part. You have to give of yourself when you work at school. I myself feel that I am in a good mood. Spreading joy is a positive quality I have. I feel that I get a lot back from the children and that they are also in a good mood, says Frank.
– My role in the classroom is to be the teacher’s extended arm. I will be an academic support for the students. Some children have challenges that do not fit into the academics. I will create security for them and be a good adult. They seem to appreciate my presence. It is very gratifying.
– Brekkåsen school is the world’s best workplace. I’m enjoying myself very much, very pleasant colleagues all together. So are the children. It is a dream to work here. When the children see that the adults are having fun and enjoying themselves at work, it rubs off on the children, says Frank.
– A prize for all of us
It was Frank’s colleagues at school who nominated him for the award. See some of the reasoning in a video at sfonett.no.
– Frank is 100 percent trustworthy. Always positive. Big catch for those who need it. Calm. Talks well with everyone, both colleagues and children. He is never gone. Lives in the neighborhood and shows up at short notice when needed. He has good contact with guardians and parents, and meets them in the morning. He fits very well in the job he has, says principal Marit Volden at Brekkåsen school.
– It was very well deserved that Frank received this award. At the same time, it is a price for all of us, for our entire environment. We are a very good group here with many talented employees. The price is a boost for everyone, she says.