On the last day of the transfer window, negotiations between Lyon and West Ham were one of the most talked about matters and everything seemed to be going well.
Yes, Saïd Benrahma was even pictured in Lyon gear after his medical before the whole transfer eventually went down the drain.
Now the French big club is coming out hard against West Ham and their handling of the matter.
– On 2 February, Olympique Lyonnais deeply regrets that the transfer of Saïd Benrahma failed, for reasons beyond our control. We also question West Ham’s behaviour, is Lyon’s clear speech in a press release.
Also read: Nettavisen learns: Braut Brunes was minutes away from Ligue 1 transition
In the absence of the big transfers, this transfer saga became the big drama on the last day of the window.
– We were looking forward to welcoming Saïd Benrahma to Lyon. The clubs had signed a transfer agreement, and Lyon had received approval from DNCG to allow the transfer to take place, they write further.
– But at the start of the evening, while Lyon had completed all the administrative requirements to carry out the transfer, West Ham had not even started on the requirements placed on them. Despite Lyon reminding them of this on several occasions.
Benrahma wasn’t the only West Ham transfer to have problems on Thursday. Pablo Fornals’ transfer to Real Betis was also never confirmed, and is in danger of going down the same drain.
There must have been problems with West Ham’s systems.
– Unintelligible behavior
Lyon are in the middle of the Ligue 1 mire, fighting a tough battle for survival in the French top division.
In other words, they needed reinforcements in the decisive phase of the season.
– Due to the lack of meeting the demands from both parties and the incomprehensible behavior on their part, the transition could not be carried out before the deadline expired.
Also read: This happened on Deadline Day
– Lyon deeply regrets this situation, and believes this shows a deep lack of respect on West Ham’s part. The club will do everything to complete the transition at a later date.
Despite the failed move for Benrahma, Lyon secured Orel Mangala on a loan deal with an option from Nottingham Forest on Deadline Day.