The incident is said to have taken place around a week ago.
The child must have been treated by a doctor at an emergency room in Western Norway, before being transported to hospital. The child died on the way to the hospital.
The Norwegian Health Authority has opened inspections after the incident and the doctor who treated the child is suspected of breaching the Health Personnel Act.
The police have opened a case
The death has not previously been discussed. It is supposed to be a “small child”, but the exact age of the child is not known. It is also not known what caused the child’s death.
The police have opened a case following the death. The doctor is not formally charged in the case, but has status as a suspect. NRK has not yet succeeded in getting a comment from the police.
The family of the child who died has been appointed legal counsel.
Would not appoint a defense attorney for the doctor
The doctor who is suspected wanted to have a public defender appointed, but the district court said no to this as the doctor has not been formally charged in the case.
The doctor then appealed the decision to the Court of Appeal. They agreed that the doctor needed a defense attorney despite the fact that the person in question “only” has the status of a suspect.
This was justified by the fact that the case is complex, and that it is very demanding for all those involved.
The decision from the district court was therefore overturned, and the doctor was able to appoint a defender.
– Must be followed up by the supervisory authorities
– This is a tragic case, not least for the parents of the child, but also for the health personnel who were involved, writes the doctor’s defender, John Roscoe, in a text message to NRK.
– My client is determined to help inform the case as best as possible with both the police and supervisory authorities. Beyond this, I have no further comment on the matter, writes Roscoe.
County doctor at the state administrator in Vestland, Sjur Lehmann, says he is aware of the case.
– The Norwegian Health Authority is aware of the case, and it is clearly a case that must be followed up by the supervisory authorities, Lehmann tells NRK.
– A terrible tragedy
NRK has also been in contact with the mayor of the municipality where the child was resident, who says that the family is in deep grief.
– This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts go out to those closest to me. They have our deepest sympathy.
The mayor adds that the next of kin have been followed up by health personnel and a priest in the municipality.
Do you have tips or thoughts about the case you’ve read? Feel free to send me an email!