The US Department of Defense Pentagon confirms in a brief statement that they have launched an attack on Friday.
The news agency Reuters writes that at least 125 targets have been attacked. At least 18 pro-Iran fighters are said to have been killed, reports AFP.
– Our response began today. It will continue wherever we want, whenever we want, says a statement from President Joe Biden.
He goes on to say that the US does not want any conflict in the Middle East or elsewhere in the world.
– But anyone who wants to harm us should know this: If you harm an American, we will respond.
A spokesperson for the Iraqi military condemns the attack, calling it a violation of the country’s sovereignty.
– It poses a threat that could lead Iraq and the region towards terrible consequences, says the spokesperson, according to Reuters.
According to Iraq, the attacks have been aimed at the country’s border areas.
Spokesperson for the White House, John Kirby, claims in a statement on Friday evening that the Iraqi authorities were notified in advance of the attacks.
Three American soldiers killed
Among other things, the US is said to have used long-range bombers and drones during the attack, which is said to have occurred at 10 p.m. Norwegian time.
Among the targets are said to have been command centres, rockets, missiles and drone warehouses.
On Thursday, Reuters reported that the US had approved plans for an attack over several days.
President Joe Biden promised revenge after an Iranian-backed group attacked an American base in Jordan on the night of Sunday, January 28.
The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-backed militant groups, has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Three American soldiers were killed and over 30 were injured.
The soldiers William Jerome Rivers (46), Kennedy Ladon Sanders (24) and Breonna Alexsondria Moffett (23) were killed in the attack.
Biden has previously claimed that Iran is partly responsible for the attack.
– I hold Iran responsible, in the sense that they deliver the weapons to the people who did it, Biden said earlier this week.
Iran claims they were not involved
It is the first time Americans have been killed in an attack in the region since the war between Israel and Hamas broke out on October 7.
This has led to fears that the conflict would escalate further.
Iran claims it had nothing to do with the attack and rejects US accusations that it supports the militia groups it says are behind the attack.
Jordan has condemned the attack on the US military base, calling it a terrorist attack.
According to Jordan, the attack came from Syria, writes AFP.
State Syrian media write that there are desert areas in the country that have been attacked, including along the border with Iraq, and that several people are said to have been killed. Al Jazeera writes that.