Increase in boat thefts:
There were fewer reported boat injuries last year, but the insurance figures show that thefts increased by almost 10 per cent.
In a survey carried out by Norstat for the insurance company Frende, 15 per cent of boat owners say that they have had their boat stolen or stolen from them.
– The thieves know that there are enormous values that they can get their hands on. Many secure things poorly and the thieves take advantage of this in the coming weeks, says Frende’s specialist manager on boats, Edmond Wold Gaulen, in a press release.
Norboat estimates that there are almost a million recreational boats in this country. The damage figures from Finans Norge for 2022 show that the thefts cost Norwegian insurance companies NOK 70 million in total.
– This is an increase of a whopping 27 per cent from the previous year. The average cost of boat thefts last year was just over NOK 57,500. Many lose large values. I hope people take action this year so the thieves have a harder time, says Wold Gaulen.
Damages for 600 million in 2022
A total of almost NOK 600 million worth of damage was reported to Norwegian boat insurance companies in 2022. The largest claim item was accidents, which cost just over NOK 340 million.
– Many people have expensive equipment lying around a little too visible or easily accessible. This is the easiest to steal and it is also the one that most often breaks. Fortunately, this type of theft is also the easiest to avoid. The first rule is not to have valuables lying loose in the boat. Even if you only leave the harbor for a short trip, it is not a good idea to leave valuables lying around. Take your valuables with you, lock them up or lock them up, says Edmond Wold Gaulen.
– When you’re going home for the day, it’s a good idea to bring small outboard motors and a petrol tank. Larger motors can be locked with a special lock. One tip could also be to remove an engine part, which makes it impossible to start. Also ensure that all hatches and doors are locked. he adds.
If you can, it’s a good idea to take the steering wheel off. Frende also recommends installing tracking equipment. An alarm with a proper siren will also scare off the thieves.
Many insurance companies give a discount if the boat is in a port that has organized security and both the police and Frende recommend that you take pictures of the boat. This will make it easier for the police to search for the boat.
Twelve tips against theft
- Use marinas that have established security guards
- Carry out frequent inspections of the boat yourself
- Take valuables with you when leaving the boat
- Expensive equipment that cannot be taken with you must be kept locked in the boat
- Remember that the boat is extra vulnerable to theft when it is ready for sea on a trailer
- Be sure to safety mark the hull, engine and drive train
- Stern units are vulnerable to theft and should be dismantled during winter storage
- Remove the loose fuel tank, or lock it up
- Removing an important engine part or installing a hidden main switch makes boat theft more difficult
- Theft alarm comes in many variants, ask the insurance company for advice
- In case of theft, contact the police and insurance company immediately
- Be sure to take pictures of the boat
(Source: Finance Norway)